Tuesday, October 28, 2008

first impression: Nanaco Robin (manga)



So I worship the ground that Nakahara Aya-sensei walks on because I love her works and all. In fact, I even did a whole spotlight on her as the very first for this blog. Ever since, I've gotten my hands on all of the manga by her that I could, and while I haven't really written my thoughts on the ones I've read, I will in the near future.

Here today, however, is a current series by Nakahara-sensei which has one volume out so far (two chapters available to me in English) and hopefully more to come soon.

The story sets up the first chapter with Nako crashing a wedding and taking away the groom. It's quite the exciting opening for any story and we later find out that she has crashed this wedding not for her sake, but for her sister's sake. Because the marriage was arranged and her sister and the groom are in love, she helps them elope. Unfortunately, the younger, delinquent brother of the groom seems to have lost a place to live, she realizes that she is responsible for this and so her family takes him in wholeheartedly.

The premise of the story is a very good one with lots of potential. Seeing as how it's a romantic shoujo comedy, there are so, so many possibilities at hand with the male protagonist moving in with the female protagonists.

Also a part of the already known plot is that the little brother, Konatsu, is quite the "misunderstood" delinquent -- another one of those "bad boys with a heart of plate gold" types who can be nice sometimes even though he seems really rought. We find out as well that Nako had been in love with the man she helped to bring her sister together with and is currently recovering from that lost love.

The first chapter alone ends with the entire series' set up. Konatsu moves in with Nako's family, we meet all of the younger siblings within her family, we meet Nako's friends, and we also establish a first impression based relationship between Konatsu and Nako which is close to the classic "I don't even want to be in the same room as him/her" type.

Much has occurred within the second chapter including meeting Konatsu-kun's "best friend", and there is still more to come, I'm sure.

The personalities are still a little hard to distinguish, but Nako-chan is quite the strong-type female character as she can easily punch the living daylights out of Konatsu-kun. Konatsu is being an extreme brat, but he has his reasons, though that does no mean I will keep my self from throttling him. I love Nako's best friends, especially Bu-chan. Her siblings are interesting creatures too and I look forward to seeing all the comedic antics they provide.

This will definitely be a good series and wouldn't be surprised if it becomes popular in the future as it progresses. There are so many characters to work off of and the relations between the family and others (the customers who frequent Nako-chan's family store) seem to have good dynamics.

As far as my interest is concerned, I am completely looking forward to reading more of this series as it comes out by chapter. I love Nakahara-sensei's work and wouldn't miss any of it.

No comments: