Tuesday, August 5, 2008

random thoughts: The Musician of D.Gray-man

Episode 93: Melody


While I don't really like to blog anime by episode because I'm lazy, I kind of wanted to point out this lovely 'Musician' plot device from the latest episode of D.Gray-man available to me.

At the end of episode 92, we were shown that somehow, Allen was able to play the piano as well as the score that could restore the ark. During that time, I thought the melody was really pretty and couldn't help paying extra close attention.

Actually, the Earl was the one who'd played the melody first and, honestly, I couldn't really piece together the connection between the Earl's image and the elegant music. It wasn't working for me.

Let's compare. See above.

The music started and I was all thinking, "Ooh, this sounds nice..." And then I saw the piano and the keys being played by some invisible force. I thought it was really cool.

The typical, mysterious and beautiful way to play...


Um, yea, not so beautiful anymore, huh...

I will admit, clowns are kind of scary. The Millenium Earl is no exception and there is something awfully out of place about the Earl playing such a peaceful sounding music score. At least Allen is good-looking enough to pull off looking cool while he was playing. Cute kid, he even tried to sing to the song too... I chuckled.

In episode 93, we got to see a more in depth scene of when Allen was playing the song and restoring the entire ark. Very heartwarming lines and shots about desires and whatnot. It was interesting how the image of Komui Lee popped into Allen's mind, which further proves just how much significance Komui is in holding together all the exorcists.

Can't think of desires, then think of Komui nii-sama.


What a way to convince our star exorcist to piece life back together.

The ideas got Allen into realizing and thinking about wanting all his friends back. Sometimes it's hard to believe that Komui Lee is really this kind of person because of his seemingly dual personality:

I think the caption says it all.


Anyway, getting back on topic... I kind of wish I could share the song on this blog, but I don't have a good copy of it right now except for what I could probably rip from the episode itself. But then I'd have to explain that voices will be heard speaking and I can't get rid of them because of my capabilities as a blogger.

Thanks to Shinsen-Subs, however, I was able to follow along with the romanji version of the song as well as the English translation. The song is very beautiful, sort of like a song of hope praying for life again. It is quite in tune with the idea of Allen's playing of the piano to restore the ark.

I wouldn't mind listening to it again and again, and hopefully there will be a somewhat "full version" or the like of this song out soon.

On an end note, episode 93 overall wasn't much to write home about. Lavi continued to be his... interestingly baka self (how adorable ^_^). "Bakanda" and "moyashi" fought again as soon as they met (I don't think these two were meant to be close friends). Chaoji is still wallowing in the loss of his comrades. "Kuro-chan" is out unconscious dreaming of Eliade and those good old days of being a vampire. And the good Marshall Cross has decided to continue on his womanizing ways.

On that note, sometimes I wonder what type of atmosphere this anime is really supposed to convey, because it can be either extremely dark and twisted... or it can be really... well, like this:

Sometimes I wonder if maybe Tim isn't the real hero of D.Gray-man.


Really now, a ruler? Though I was wondering the same thing myself.


I should be asking that question.


I'm looking forward to the coming episode of D.Gray-man as usual. The series is really growing on me even though at first I'd been interested in Lavi only. Allen has grown hotter, I've come to love Kanda and his "screw off" personality, and as much as I hate to admit it, the good Marshal Cross Marian is actually pretty cool. I'm really hoping to see Lenalee be able to stand up and fight again like her kick-ass self at the beginning of the series. Her current "damsel in distress" role is kind of bugging me.

Overall a fun episode, but it was more of a climactic ending to the ark story arc and a new transition into the next story arc.

1 comment:

sydney said...

i was thinking the same exact thing about linalee also about the "i can't do anything" and blah blah blah, i just hope she goes back to her normal self. also aout lavi he is also my favorite i love him ^_^, kanda and allen are growing on me too. (the whole time i read this blog i was thinking the exact same things you were... some minds just think alike) lol the ruler part was so funny