Saturday, August 2, 2008

news: Skip Beat! anime transition



On a completely unscheduled post, I wanted to share some exciting news that I've just found. Apparently, as per Skip Beat! @ wiki and Skip Beat! (TV) @ ANN three seiyu for the anime have been revealed. Now I'm not sure how late I am with this news, but I've been scouting wiki and ANN for awhile to figure out more information on the Skip Beat! anime that is to air in October of this year.

According to these two sources the following characters are going to be voiced by the following voice actors:

Mogami Kyouko -- Satou Rina
Tsuruga Ren -- Koyasu Takehito
Fuwa Shoutaro -- Sakurai Takahiro

Of the three seiyu listed/known for Skip Beat!, the only one I'm even familiar with is Sakurai Takahiro as he voiced my beloved Cloud Strife from the Final Fantasy VII franchise. The other two I am not too familiar with, but according to Koyasu-san's wiki page, he's had over 300 voice roles up to date and when I google-ed his name, I found sites where fanlistings were present. I assume that even though I don't know him, he's quite a popular seiyu. The same, I'm guessing, may be said for Satou Rina though her number of voice roles are far less than Koyasu Takehito's, but she has her share of significant and popular main character roles.

When I read that Takahiro would be voicing Fuwa Shoutaro, I was a little shocked. To be honest, I'm really only familiar with the cool and reluctant hero types that Takahiro has voiced a la Cloud Strife. Even though his main roles aren't much to write home about, it does seem like he's had his fair share of variety in character types. According to his wiki page, he mainly voices good-looking men, occasionally voices the "Cloud Strife-types" and sometimes does villains. Takahiro may also be known for his antagonistic role in Code Geass as Kururugi Suzaku who may or may not be a villain.

Honestly, I like this seiyu probobably because I'm in love with Cloud Strife. To be cast as Fuwa Shoutaro wasn't what I wanted to see because I don't like Fuwa Shoutaro with a passion. But the more that I actually think about it, I think Takahiro could really pull it off well since Fuwa gives me that calm, cool, aloof type personality (at least publicly) and Takahiro's voice gives off just that image.

As for the other two mentioned seiyu, after browsing their wiki and ANN pages, I've found Satou Rina to be in connection with only one voice role I am familiar with: Azuma Satori from Bamboo Blade. In that anime, I thought that her voice was rather mature and cute. I wonder what kind of a Kyoko she'll come up with since most female voice actors can change their voices at weill.

As for Koyasu Takehito-san, I found that I've heard his voice in Ouran High School Host Club as Haruhi's transvestite father, "Ranka-san" and also as Keiki from Twelve Kingdoms. These are two extremely different voice roles in which I would have never made the connection. I've been exposed to none of Koyasu-san's other voice roles and so now I'm kind of looking forward to seeing how he fairs with Tsuruga Ren as a loner, professional actor who is both desired and handsome.

The countdown to Skip Beat!'s broadcast is coming up and I'm very much looking forward to it. I'm wondering who will be voicing Moko-san and little Maria, two of my favorite, yet little seen characters in Skip Beat!.

No comments: