Tuesday, September 23, 2008

featured song: Gravity performed by Maaya Sakamoto

-- ending theme to "Wolf's Rain"


Gravity - Maaya Sakamoto


Music: Yoko Kanno
Lyrics: Troy
Producer: Yoko Kanno

Lyrics:

Been a long road to follow
Been there and gone tomorrow
Without saying good-bye to yesterday
Are the memories I hold still valid?
Or have the tears deluded them?

Maybe this time tomorrow
The rain will cease to follow
And the mist will fade into a new today
Something somewhere out there
keeps calling

Am I going home?
Will I hear someone
singing solace to the silent moon?
Zero gravity, what's it like?

Am I alone...?

Is somebody there beyond these heavy aching feet?
Still the road keeps on telling me to go on...

Something is pulling me
I feel the gravity of it all


Thoughts:
I first got this song because it is sung by Maaya Sakamoto and because it was an ending theme to an anime that seems to be very popular. While I haven't seen Wolf's Rain myself, I've read rather good reviews about it-- good artwork, good storyline, good concept, beautiful scenery, etc, etc, etc...

The song in itself is beautiful. Maaya Sakamoto's voice is perfect for Gravity; very pretty and with randomly fluctuating tones at all the right places. She brings the song to life and even enunciates the english words wonderfully. Even without having watched the anime, I can scarcely imagine abstract images of what Wolf's Rain would be like if I decided to watch it, which I'm becoming very tempted just because of this song alone.

It's a very lonely, very sad feeling that you get listening to the music and the lyrics, but it seems that the road that is being followed is eventually leading somewhere. Loneliness won't last long, but as the first line says, it's still "a long road to follow." The song itself is full of hopes of a better day to come, and from what I know of the synopsis of Wolf's Rain, this song perfectly represents the feelings of the main characters and their desire to be able to roam freely once again as wolves and not have to hide anymore.

No comments: